Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Mystery of the Missing Turkey

I let the turkeys out of the winter pen when I spent more time trying to herd them back into the pen than they actually spent residing in the pen.   Since the snow is gone, they have taken up residency in the horse and donkey pastures.   Currently there are 6 adult turkeys, 2 toms and 4 hens.  Every morning when I go out to feed the animals I do a quick head count.  The last couple of weeks I came up with a different number each day.  Sometimes 4, sometimes 5 but rarely 6.
                                            Hmmmm..... what is up in turkey land?

                   Well, by now you have probably guessed it.... its Spring in turkey land.


So this morning I when out on a turkey hunt..... no guns just a camera.  After much hunting, I finally found 2 hens sitting on a nest in the farthest corner of the pasture.  I wasn't quick enough to get a picture of the 2 hens on the nest together.  After watching much of the morning,  it seems one of the turkeys only drops by to lay an egg and the 'main' momma does all the sitting.  She is a cross between the white tom and a bronze hen. Isn't she beautiful?


After waiting a bit and scattering some scratch for her to nibble on, I was able to get this shot of the eggs.

 













                                                                               



The hens are back to sharing     sitting responsibilities.







The Momma Hens are doing their jobs. 
  Now  we just wait to see  if  Pappa Tom did his job.
                                   

So the mystery of the missing turkey is solved.


Thought for the Day 

We spend our lives talking about this mystery - our life."      Jules Renard

2 comments:

  1. HAHA - That's great! I wish I could solve the mysteries in my life that easily (working on writing a mystery that has no plot) - LOL

    Cool photos!

    ReplyDelete