Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How the Spokane Falls Came to Be

I find the Native American Tales interesting and fun addition to the history of  an area.  The following account is one of several told by local tribes to describe the origins of the Spokane Falls.


How the Spokane Falls Came to Be









 In addition to the sign below telling the Native American Tale, it is inscribed in stone in this circular place along the river for all to enjoy.











Near Spokane one day, Coyote and Fox were traveling together on their way north.  When they reached the river, Coyote said to Fox, "I believe I'll get married.  I'd like to take one of those Coeur d' Alene women for my wife."  so they went in search of the Chief of the Coeur d' Alenes.  They soon located him with his tribe and Coyote approached him with the gift of salmon.  "Chief, I would very much like to have one of your tribal women for my wife.  Can we talk about which one you would choose for me?"  " Now Coyote, you know that we do not approve of marriage  with non-tribal members.  So you cannot have one of tour Coeur d' Alene women for your wife."  Coyote and Fox left the Chief.  

Coyote became so disappointed with the Chief's decision, he began to rage to him companion, Fox.  "Soon the Chief will be sorry for his refusal.  I'll make a big waterfall here in this river.  Forevermore, salmon will not be able to get over the falls to feed the Coeur d' Alenes.

Since Coyote had powers for his wishes to be granted, the great falls immediately formed as he had proclaimed.  That is how the Spokane Falls began.     


1 comment:

  1. I just noticed that you started following my blog, so of course I had to drop in and check yours out as well. What a great surprise. I lived near Spokane for almost 32 years, and it is all so familiar. Nice to read about. Lived in CDA, Hauser Lake, Harrison, Newman Lake, and Moscow. nice to meet you.
    Sue at www.mohotravels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete