We are set up early in the afternoon next to Suzanne at Take To The Highway and ready to enjoy the atmosphere at the Cap Sante Marina. It is mid-week and there are only a couple of other campers and it stays pretty empty while we are here with people only coming in and spending a day or too.
During the late 1800's the rivers and Puget Sound served a water road ways with up to 300 paddlewheel boats traveling up and down the water ways.
Logs and branches from logging efforts, abandoned boats and other debris clogging the waters . Congress allocated $20,000 for a snag boat and in 1885 the Skagit began clearing the waterways.
For 97 years the three snag boats cleared the harbors and rivers. First there was the Skagit in 1885, then the Swinomish in in 1914, the finally the Preston in 1929.
The Preston was operated by up to 14 crew who had living quarters aboard the vessel, many of the crew serving for decades.
The Ships cook who served from 1969 till 1981.
He prepared the food made to order. He told of a story when he ask what they wanted for dinner for the next week.... the reply was it doesn't matter. After a week of peanut butter and jelly they never replied it didn't matter again.
The Preston worked the harbors and rivers until 1981 when the ship made it's last trip to the Lake Washington Shipyards with whistles blowing. A few days later the Captain Virgil (Sandy) Welsh took down the ships flags for the final time.