Sunday, March 24, 2013

Christmas Morning has Arrived

Yesterday, I got the call that a package had arrived for me at Fed Ex.  I had it delivered at the office as I had a house their new house (I'm practicing positive thinking)  I went to pick up a vital necessity of my new life.

Drum roll please.........

  What is the matter?
 Did I build you up and then let you down?  I promise I will show you... all in good time.  the box was beat up but the contents were in perfect condition.



  Check out this case.  A really well built and padded case to protect all my secrets!
No, I'm not off to a really big job.  I'm done with the corporate world and happily on to a new  life with this as my only brief case! 


It also has a convenient, heavy duty handle for carrying.
It took 5 minutes to set up and presto......

 
My new power station for Lolita


 I went with a portable solar kit for a couple of reasons.

         First, I wanted it instantly.  It's one of my character flaws.  When I want something, I want it now.  Believe me I have had plenty of life lessons to teach me patience.  But I am a slow learner and I remain as impatient as ever.  I am headed to Utah, land of endless sun and I will have renewable power for my lights and a few other gadgets.  I won't be tethered to a campground electrical post away from the sights I came to drink in.  I can't wait to see all the gorgeous back porch views.
          Second, as much as I love Lolita, I'm not sure that she will be my long term home on wheels. But I will start with her and decide later what I can live with and what I can't live without.  So with portable solar I will have options.  I can sell the solar with her for a price or move it to a new home easily until a permanent solar system can be installed.
          Thirdly, Lolita is a vintage very lightweight trailer and I can't be sure of the integrity of the roofing supports so a portable land system means I don't have to further compromise her roof supports.
           Lastly, while I do manage a few repairs and modifications on my own, I know nothing about electricity and frankly it scares me.  This has instant set up that even I will be able to manage.  It should be up and running today!!!

Wish me luck... I have on my big girl panties and I'm off to tackle my new project!! 

I'm back with an update.  It took 10 full minutes to set up.
I'm not kidding and I'll tell you a secret...
I didn't even read the directions until after I set it up.

          


13 comments:

  1. Oh BOY!! Tell all, how many watts? What will it power for you? Where did you get it? This is SO exciting. I think you thought this through very well. Doesn't seem an impatience thing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I didn't cover the details did I... It is a small panel. 130 watts It will certainly cover recharging the battery for the lights and electronic toys... computer, cell phone kindle. I could run the computer and still add to the battery charge or the TV while it is charging but not both. I'm not planning on a lot of appliances except my Ninja blender. Since I'm planning on boondocking rather than campgrounds my main concerns are lights and charging electronics. I shall practice creative cooking!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the details. Sounds great! I do all my cooking and hot water with propane so computer, lights and keeping the batteries topped are mostly my concerns.

      Delete
  2. Well, hey, now THAT's a solar setup that intrigues me! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I of course found it on my shopping buddy, Amazon from CEA Solar. I think it is perfect for my needs right now and I can expand it later with another panel if I want more.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations. Sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... this set up spells, F R E E D O M for me!

      Delete
  4. That was a great idea! It looks big enough to do quite a lot for you. Can't wait to see how it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm going to be watching to see how this works and if it meets all your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Can't wait to see how this works for your needs.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eager to see how it works for you! When we can eventually live on the road we anticipate lots of boondocking unless we find good workamping opportunities. So jealous, wish we were ready to go. We think 4-7 yr until we can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. save a little $ to buy gas! LOL. Looks awesome, you are so organized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exciting to see your system and like everyone else I wanta' know if it works well for you!

    ReplyDelete