Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tick Tock, Tick Tock

It seems that most women hate the whole birthday gig.  They ignore the celebrating the day and deny their true age.   Once more in my life I'm not like most women.  Now don't get me wrong I generally don't make a big fuss about my birthday but that probably has more to do with the fact I don't like to be the center of attention.

But this birthday is special.
It is not at all like the others.

Today is SS Day (No I'm not celebrating the Gestapo).  Today I become officially eligible for Social Security.  I embrace it.  I'm excited by the prospect of entering this new phase of my life.

When I was young I was in such a hurry to grow up and be afforded all the rights and responsibilities of adults.  I was married and a mother before I legally had the right to vote.  My years of mothering my children and the worlds children in my home came to a close just this past October.  I decided I was moving on to another life phase and choose not to take any more foster children into my home.  I broke my leg a week later while taking a picture of a sunset and after Christmas began the crash course of getting my house in order and enter the world as a full time gypsy.

People have said that I think in bumper sticker slogans.  There is probably some truth in that.  There seems to be an old saying to cover just about every situation in life and for some reason I remember them all.

So there seem to be a few to cover this getting older routine too.  So here goes. 

Life would be infinitely happier if only we could be born at the age of 80 and gradually approach 18.  Mark Twain

I don't let old age bother me.
there are three signs of old age.
Loss of memory... I forget the other two.  Red Skelton

If I had known I would live this long,
   I would have taken better care of myself  H. J. Springston

When you get old, you might lose some of your marbles.  But don't lose your marvels  Taylor Morgan

You know you are getting older when you stoop over to tie your shoes and wonder what else you can do while you're down there. George Burns

I intend to remain young indefinitely.  Mary Pickford

Inside every older person is a younger person - wondering what the hell happened.  Cory Harvey Armstrong



And lastly, Dr Seuss, who seems to have wrote some incredibly funny, yet true words.

I am what I am!  that's a great thing to be!
If I say so myself,
Happy Birthday To Me!!

I haven't bought myself a birthday gift.
I already have what I need.
My Birthday gift to myself... is permission to live my dream.


9 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! You've got a GREAT new life ahead of you and a fantastic attitude to take into it! Way to go YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM ME TOO!!!! I love your attitude. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to you and welcome to the world of SS medicare and supplment ins. I love this time of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Late Birthday!
    I've got 4 more years 'til I'm 65...
    Hope you enjoyed the day!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. while i like the Dr. Seuss quote, my favorite is the one above it! Happy day again my friend. {still older than me!}

    ps.....is the house listed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy B' Day! You are getting closer to living your dream!
    (I know how you feel about S.S. It is a blessing.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday. If you are 62, you can get your Senior National Park Pass. That is a wonderful present which will save you tons of money in your new life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated happy birthday. I have five more years to go; although they let me join AARP at 50. Go figure?

    Anxiously awaiting word of your flight from the nest. How is the process going?

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday!!! Love...Love...Love...this post, so very true.
    I am at the same point in my life, just got a few more years until I can full time RV.
    I will keep following your blog!

    ReplyDelete