Friday, December 26, 2014

A Flurry of Holiday Cheer and Lights


Some of my fondest memories of the Christmas Season are viewing the outdoor decorations and Christmas lights.  Christmas lights have always captured the child lurking in my soul.  As a child we searched out Christmas lights on the way to visit relatives during the Christmas Season taking different routes each trip to ensure we saw as many different light displays as possible.

My Grandfather and father handmade a life size Christmas display one Christmas of Santa, his sleigh loaded with Christmas packages and reindeer.  It was mounted with lights glowing on the roof of my Grandparents house.  Each year Santa returned to my Grandparents house for many years and then upon our house eventually on my parents house.  I wish I had pictures to see the display but it remains intact in my memory.  As a child I loved this magical time of year.

I still do wander different roads today in search of unique lighting displays.  It is one way I relive the magic of Christmas's past.  I believe there have not been as many light displays as years past.

Coeur d Alene Lake has lights that light up around on the North end of the Lake.  There is a boat cruise that we have taken in the past..  This year I went a on a driving tour around the lights of the lake with some of the other sisters.  The Boardwalk around the Marina has many displays and others only available from the boat tour.



The boardwalk as viewed on the internet
           
  A holiday dinner with Sisters on the Fly at the Cedars Floating Restaurant



 

                             ......we added a certain 'glow' to the festive atmosphere of this elegant restaurant.
You can see some of the lights on the lake behind Carolyn on the right pic.
  The Motto of the Sisters on the Fly is..... We have more fun than anyone.................. And We Did!!


This year the Gaiser Conservatory in Manito Park was remodeled and decked out for Christmas with lights, poinsettias and other Christmas Blooms.  I have visited the park many times in the past but never when it was lit with Christmas lights.  There are two wings, one for tropical plants, one for desert plants and the center main entry section which contains a waterfall and pond with benches for sitting on a quiet day.  This night there were hundreds of festive participants waited their turn in line to view this free Christmas lighting extravaganza. Auntie, Hailey and I were able to find a handicapped parking space right in front and were met by an display elf assistant who moved us to the front of the line.
 



Even the lines and crowds of people do not dampen my spirits as I take in the beautiful display and I was able to  get some decent photos without all the onlookers.



 





Probably one of my favorite views was outside the observatory. One of the inside helpers from "Friends of Manito Park" suggested that I take a picture of the observatory outside before we leave.  I am so glad she did.  In my rush to leave all the people and congestion I might have missed the glorious sight.


Isn't it gorgeous ablaze in in colored lights?


What a beautiful gift to the citizens of Spokane this lighting display has been.  How wonderful if it were to be open more days to allow more to view its wonder.




James King is up for national honors for Best Private Holiday Light Display in USAToday.com's annual contest.  James and his wife Karrie painted and cut out some 55 Disney characters to complement the 9,000 lights on their Spokane, Wash. home.


The couple, both Disney lovers who met in the fourth grade, spend over 40 hours on their display in an effort to give a Disneyland-like experience to those who many never get to visit the California theme park.  I have seen many fabulous displays showcased on television from around the country but this home displays the love and and Christmas spirit one family has to offer.  People come from miles around to view its festive lights.


It comes alive with the lights and music.


And close to home a little friendly competion between husband and a wife
Hers........................................His



New York may have the Empire State Building....

(from the internet)

But Spokane has the Steam Plant Stacks

And Finally.......One house has been a showcase for over fifty years. Each year the owner has built a new light displays having worked on them throughout the year and over the years he has garnered a faithful following.  I went by again this year and this year found a sign instead......

After fifty years of displays...... you deserve a rest...... 
More than children are disappointed.

but I'll be back next year for you see, some of the kids never grow up.

We found some spectacular lights...... some simple.  But I enjoy them all.

Hope your Holiday was Merry!!




6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, beautiful pictures...great content. Have you been down to SW yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a merry and "bright" Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun to drive around and see such beautifully decorated homes. We used to do that, too. The observatory was wonderful. The photo from outside looks like a package waiting to be opened. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Karen what a fun time you had with the sisters. These pictures are fantastic. What gorgeous lights. The observatory looks fantastic. I really hope the Kings win and the prize is big to help off set the cost not only of the displays themselves but of the electricity to run them. That's a beautiful private light show. But 50 years really does take the cake. He more than deserves a vacation. Thanks so much for sharing these lights. We weren't really able to see any this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Karen, I love lights and every year my sister and I make hot chocolate and ride around looking at displays. Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday.
    Love the picture of you 3 together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaare, I love each of your posts but I think this one is my favorite! The observatory photo from the outside was gorgeous & the pic of you 3 girls will bring so many happy memories in the future. I hope the Kings win--my mouth flew open when I saw the contrast between day & night! 50 years--yes--please take a break! What fun to be with the Sisters--lights on the lake are beautiful & it looks as if the weather was perfect. Always a consideration here in the Northwet! Happy Happy New Year to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete